Download PDF Abide with Me: An Eastend tale to tear your heart out (John Sissons Book 1)

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online Abide with Me: An Eastend tale to tear your heart out (John Sissons Book 1) file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with Abide with Me: An Eastend tale to tear your heart out (John Sissons Book 1) book. Happy reading Abide with Me: An Eastend tale to tear your heart out (John Sissons Book 1) Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF Abide with Me: An Eastend tale to tear your heart out (John Sissons Book 1) at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF Abide with Me: An Eastend tale to tear your heart out (John Sissons Book 1) Pocket Guide.
Sobre nosaltres

  1. Lent 12222
  2. Abide with Me
  3. Online Library of Liberty
  4. Smith Genealogy

My grandfather, I have some more knowledge of. He was born in Brattleboro, Windham County, Vermont in the year I know but little of his life until he came to the State of Pennsylvania about the year He settled in the wilderness on the Susquehanna River, 15 miles from any white inhabitants.

Here he lived until the country became more settled and died suddenly of the Pleurisy in the 51st year of his age, and in the year His family consisted of four sons and three daughters, of whom my father was the eldest. Roswell was a chair maker by trade and lived in Pennsylvania, I think, but I had but little knowledge of him after I was five years old, when he came to my father's house and brought a set of common kitchen chairs, which were kept in our family for 34 or 35 years.

Roswell went to the State of Ohio, Zanesville, Muskingum County, on the Muskingum River and built mills there, and probably died there, but I have not heard from him for many years. Samuel was a tailor by trade and went to Canada, and my father never heard from him after about the year Cynthia and Polly, I cannot remember hearing my father say much, after he left home, but whether either of them married I do not know, but Lucy married a man by the name of Bingham and went to Ohio and was killed in a saw mill.

My grandmother's maiden name was Deborah Hildreth.

  • All posts by kirk;
  • The Culture of English Puritanism, 1560–1700.
  • Join Kobo & start eReading today.

She was confined to her bed eight years, before her death, with slow consumption. She died some years before my grandfather did, but I do not know in what year. Her father lived to the age of years and died in Vermont, but what place I do not know. I do not have knowledge of any more of that family. He resided here until he was six years old, when his father moved to Pennsylvania. Here they lived until his mother died. How long that was, I do not know, but when, or shortly after she died, he went from his father's house and lived about in different places until he married, which was about the year , at which time he was 25 years of age.

At what place they lived when they were married, I do not know, but shortly after, he moved to Deposit, a small village in Broome Co. Here he followed lumbering most of the time for about five years when he moved to Sanford in the same County, about 4 miles from Deposit on Oquaga Creek in the forest, in a valley between the mountains where the soil was extremely poor and subject to frost in summer, and deep snow in winter.

Here he built a house and cleared off a farm, of 20 or 30 acres, of the heaviest timber which cost him much labor, for which he received small pay, as the sale was not productive. While living at this place, my mother did much towards the support of the family by sewing, carding and spinning wool, and spinning flax for her neighbors, and by this means clothed her children and mostly fed them. In this same place they lived 13 years. Here four of the children were born, including myself, I being the youngest. My father laboring hard and having made but poorly, thought to seek a better location in some other place.

So he and my eldest brother, Samuel, went to look out a place in Tompkins Co. Having found, as they supposed, a better place, they returned and made preparations to move. He sold his place and most of his house furniture and hired my cousin Erastus Stewart to haul us to the new location, he staying behind to arrange his business. Here we stayed for several days then went two miles to my Uncle Jared Patchen's and lived with them several months.

My father came here four weeks after us, and he and Samuel went to moving a blockhouse which my father had bought, and putting it up on the farm he had taken, during which time we lived at my uncle Jared's. After having completed the house, we moved over into it. This was upon a high hill or mountain, where we had an extensive view of the surrounding country in almost every direction. I was nine years of age and had to perform a great deal of the outdoor labor, such as ploughing, harrowing, cutting wood, making fence etc. But I will continue the history of my father down to his death and then that of my mother and of the older children, my brothers and sisters and my uncles and aunts and of their families, before I commence upon my own.

Having passed this winter, my father commenced farming, a business he was not much used to but made out very well at it for some years. The price of grain being very low and money scarce, he did not succeed in paying for the land he had taken, which was to be four dollars per acre, but the interest had run up to about eight dollars per acre. Circumstances being as they were, he found it impossible to pay for the land, and therefore concluded to sell his improvements and try some other place. He therefore sold to Joseph Baker and Jefferson Collins for the small sum of forty dollars.

The improvements had cost him not less than dollars. He then went to the farm of Joseph Teeter, a part of which he rented. He built a house on the part he had taken, but this land being very poor, he soon gave it up for a bad bargain. During the time he was on those two places, he did something at lumbering and shingles, so that he made a living with the little that he raised. My uncle George Tiffany and his family and two of my sisters had gone to Ohio a year before he went on to the last mentioned farm.

We had received letters from them which spoke much in praise of that country which inclined my father to go to Ohio. The Whipples move to Ohio. In the latter part of the summer of , my father made preparations to remove to the State of Ohio. He therefore sold off everything he had, his cattle and wagon, household goods etc. He hired a young man by the name of Madison Knettles to take his family to the head of Cayuga Lake, a distance of 12 miles, there to take the steam boat for Montezuma [On the north end of Lake Cayuga].

This lake is a small lake in the center of part of the State of New York. It is 40 miles long and eight or 9 miles wide. A small steamboat named DeWitt Clinton was the only boat that ran upon it except small boats. This bridge was built across the foot of the lake two miles long. Here we shipped aboard a canal boat and went to Montezuma [New York], seven miles. Here we had to ship again on board another boat for Buffalo, where we arrived in six days [This trip was made on the Erie Canal which ran from Albany, New York on the east, to Buffalo, New York on the west and emptied into Lake Erie].

The first night we were on the boat we witnessed the long to be remembered signs in the heavens above. Between two and three o'clock in the morning, I heard the watch come down into the cabin where I lay, and tell the passengers of the sight to be seen in the sky. I immediately got up and went to the upper deck of the boat to behold the wonderful sight. And a wonderful sight it was, for the stars were flying in every direction through the heavens, I stood and looked at them till I was nearly chilled through, for it was very cold. I returned to my bed wondering what such a thing could mean.

My father did not go up to see it. In the morning the wind blew almost a hurricane and very cold. The lake rolled in tremendously, and the Captain was afraid to start out, and here we lay for three days, but the wind did not cease but rather increased. The passengers were so anxious to go that the Captain said he would go or go to Hell trying, for he could stand it if they could. So on the fourth morning he put out but found rough weather, and we all wished ourselves back at Buffalo again.

We went on 12 miles to Point Evernew on the Canadian side, where we anchored and lay three days. A severe snow storm came on with heavy wind, which drove several boats back to Buffalo. On the fourth day we started from there and went as far as Erie in Pennsylvania where the boat belonged. Here the Captain had the boat drawn up, and said he would not go any further that winter, so we had to make the best shift we could for Cleveland. Here we stayed for three days, when the Fairport steamboat came up with heavy freight and passengers for Cleveland.

Here the most of the passengers of the Pennsylvania shipped on board the Sheldon Thompson which doubled her cargo. This boat was out of repair and dangerous at best. We had to pass from one boat to the other. As it was raining and freezing it was extremely dangerous. After having got aboard this boat we went on towards Cleveland, and we had no chance to lie down or even sit down as the passengers were so thick in the cabin.

So we spent the night standing up, amused with jokes and fun of some of the large crowd. The boat started on towards Cleveland, and we met a heavy snow storm which came on with such fury as to cause the Captain to turn back to Fairport again. Here we stayed another night. The next day we started a second time for Cleveland, which we made out to gain as the day was fair.

We had then been two weeks on Lake Erie and [had] landed almost without money, food or clothing, as we had lost some clothing on the boat. Having gone a few miles, we came across an old farmer going home from Cleveland. We got him to take us out to his house. Here we stayed overnight and left all our goods in a barn and pursued our journey on foot in the mud, a distance of 20 miles.

My sister was sick and hardly able to walk. We got as far as Ridgeville [between Cleveland and Elyria] that night and stopped at the house of a Mr. Kibby, who treated us with great kindness. Ohio, the place of our destination. We found our relatives settled in the woods half leg deep in water, in a small log shanty with a few acres cleared around them. On arriving at my brother's house, to our surprise we found Sylvanus Aldridge and his family living in the same house. He had come from the State of New York. We had not seen him for many years.

On meeting with our friends we somewhat cheered, notwithstanding our hard fare and past troubles. Here we lived through the winter in a house 14 by 16 ft. We were mostly dependent on them for our provisions, as we could not earn anything, as my father was sick all winter. In the spring my father assisted George in building another house, and we lived in the old one, and my father worked in the sawmill of Mr. Abby, and I chopped for five dollars an acre through the summer. In the fall we moved to Carlisle and took a sawmill belonging to Phineas Johnson in the village of Laporte.

Here we lived until spring of , when we moved to Elyria, the County seat of Lorain County. Here my father took a small piece of land of Herman Ely, on which we lived and worked for a year doing job work of different kinds for a living. In the spring of we moved across the river and took another piece of land on which was a good orchard. We repaired the house and fences on this land and did much hard labor and raised considerable corn, vegetables etc. On the 18th of Sept. The weather was wet and unhealthy, and we both were taken sick at the same time. My father was taken with inflammation of the bowels, and I was taken with bilious fever.

On finding ourselves in a bad state, we sent for Dr. Howard, a skillful physician, who attended us faithfully, but in spite of all endeavors my father died on the 9th day of his illness. Thus [were] ended the days of Daniel Whipple, at the age of 80 years and one month. He was a man of remarkable strong constitution.

Lent 12222

He had very little sickness in his life, except that he once fell from a building and hurt his back, which made him grow crooked as he grew older. He was a man of good moral but did not belong to any church at the time of his death, although he had been a Methodist for a few years of his life, but had left them on account of the inconsistency of some of their doctrines and notions. Had he lived to hear the Gospel, he would have embraced it, no doubt, for he condemned all churches because they had not the gifts and ordinances according to the order that Christ and the Apostles taught.

He also told me that if I lived to be fifty years old, in all probability I would see it. In less than one year after his death, the Gospel was preached in the same house that he died in, by Elder John Hughes. My father did not live quite long enough to hear it. History of Mary Tiffany. She went with her father to Cortland [Hartland? I am not certain whether she came into New York or Pennsylvania when she left her native state. I do not know exactly the time she was married to [Zenos] Aldridge, her first husband, nor when she was married to my father, but her first marriage must have been about the year , and her second about the year , as near as I can learn.

After she was married to my father, she labored faithfully to help support her family. She was a woman of great patience and strong mind and good character. She never allowed her children to keep bad company or use bad language or contend with each other or anything that could be called bad behavior in any wise. She raised a family of eight children and lived to see them all men and women grown and able to care for themselves. She used to say that if she could live to see this, she would be willing to die.

But after she joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, she said that if she could live to see Nauvoo and hear the instructions from the authorities of the Church, that she would be willing to leave this world. This she also lived to see. Here she enjoyed herself well in having instructions from the servants of God from time to time.

She was smart and active as women generally are at 40, until she was taken with her last illness. She was a woman of rather less than middle size, fair complexion, hair and eyes dark. She had double teeth all round, many of which were sound at her death. She was remarkably strong-constitutioned and never kept her bed three days at a time after she was 16 years of age, at which time she had a slight attack of consumption, of which she was cured by a skillful physician. A few days before she was taken sick, she walked to Almira's, a distance of one and a half miles, apparently as smart as when she was young.

Abide with Me

She was taken with a violent fever and was deranged considerably for several days, but was rational before she died. I called on Dr. Bernhisel to attend her, but he said it was extremely doubtful whether she would recover. After three days she did not appear to be in any pain, but slept most of the time until the 5th day of her illness.

On the night of her death, myself and my first wife Jane, and my sister Gerua were with her. My sister was also sick at the time and was not able to help take care of her, and my wife and I took turns in attending to her in the night. She appeared to feel much better and wished me to comb her hair.

I did so, and she talked cheerfully and told me to lie down and rest. My wife was lying down on a bed by the fire. We had prepared this bed to lie on when she did not need our assistance. I accordingly went and lay down, and as I did so my wife raised up and said she thought my mother did not breathe natural, upon which I got up again and went to her bed and thought she was asleep, but behold she did not breathe again.

She appeared to go to sleep before I lay down, and she lay precisely as she did and looked perfectly natural, Sept. Thus, [were] ended the days of Mary Tiffany. She lived a life of toil and hardship, but she ended her days in peace. My mother's first husband was named Aldridge, by whom she had two children, a son and a daughter. Her son's name was Sylvanus, and her daughter was Azuba, the history of whom will be given on another page.

These and another, her 3rd child Cynthia and her 4th child Samuel, were in the State of New York at the time of her death. She had not heard from them for many years. I have never heard from any of them up to this. We were obliged to keep her for three days before she was buried because there were eleven buried the day my mother was, and four left unburied that had been dead for several days.

I tried to get someone to make her coffin but could not and had to make one myself and being quite out of health at best, I was not able to go to her grave. She was taken and buried by Wm. Huntington, who was the sexton at that time in Nauvoo. The doctor I employed to attend on my mother in her last illness was John Bernhisel. He is still living in Salt Lake City at this date, Jan.

He is old but still hale and hearty. History of Nelson Wheeler Whipple. This place was situated in the central part of the State. The country was a cold mountainous region, as all know that are acquainted with its geography. When I was quite young, my father removed to Pennsylvania in the Susquehanna County, town of Harmony where he took a mill and lived about three years. This mill belonged to Martin Lane Esq. At the end of the three years he returned to the old place. When I was about five years old, I went to school to a Mrs. Jeffords, at which time I learned the alphabet, and that was about all, for I was so bashful I could not make much headway at learning.

The next summer I went a short time to Mrs. Ambrosia Jeffords. At this time I learned to spell in words of three letters. The school house was a Penny settlement one mile from my father's. But as though aware of my situation, I lay still until my father stopped the mill and came down and rescued me. Thus, my life was saved at that time. The first accident of any kind that ever happened to me was when I was about three years of age.

This was a bruise on the calf of my leg, which was done against the red-hot bail of a teakettle as it was set off the fire. I could not have been three years old at the time. It was a bad burn and was more than six months getting well. I can also remember things distinctly that happened before that, when I was not over two years old. I commenced to labor very young and had a desire to help my father all I could, as I saw the need he had of my assistance. I was the youngest, and my brother Samuel was out at work for himself most of the time.

When at the age of seven years, I went to work in a saw mill with my father and learned the board rule and learned [to] measure and mark lumber for the Philadelphia market. This was my business in the mill. Here I continued to work through the summer of The next summer, my father moved to Tompkins Co. My mother and the family moved weeks before my father came. I do not remember precisely how long it was, but during this time I didn't do much but play with my new friends.

After my father came, I again went to work day by day, as regular as he did on the farm or lumbering or anything that came to hand. I was large for my age and growing fast. I labored beyond my strength and injured my constitution, so that I never was strong as I should have been. While living here I turned my attention, as much as possible, to study and trying to learn to read, as I was a poor prospect of getting an education, unless I could get it myself.

I took up various branches of education, geography and arithmetic and trying to learn to write as I had opportunity. Here I remained till , during which time I went to school three weeks in the winter of to a teacher by the name of Haws. This time I spent mostly in learning to write. In the summer of my father concluded to move to the State of Ohio, and therefore made arrangements to leave and started for that State in September.

As soon as we had got on the boat, the weather turned cold and stormy, and we remained there for three days. Here we witnessed the falling of the stars, Oct. After three days we started for Cleveland Ohio. The storm [was] still raging at a high rate, the wind blowing down the lake. When the boat left the pier, it seemed impossible to stem the storm, but could not get back into port, so we came on 12 miles to Port of Evernew on the Canadian side, and cast anchor. Here we lay three more days in a dangerous situation before the storm ceased, then the weather became fine, and we went on the Erie in Pennsylvania, where the boat belonged.

Here the weather was very cold, and the Captain would not go any farther. So we were shipped onto another boat, and after five more days again started for Cleveland but stopped at Fairport to repair the boat. Here we stopped till next day, then started again for Cleveland. When within about 15 miles of the place we were met by a heavy snow storm, and we were obliged to turn back to Fairport again.

Stayed here till next day and made out to reach Cleveland about the 15th of Oct. After some difficulty, we got a man to take us out 5 miles toward our place of destination. Here we stayed over night, and the next day we went on foot through the mud towards Eaton, until we arrived at the house of a man named Kibby where we stopped that night. In the morning we proceeded on to our place of destination in the town of Eaton, Lorain County, Ohio.

Here we found my half brother Sylvanus and his family in a log cabin 16 feet square, with GeorgeTiffany and his family which made ten, and when we arrived made fourteen in the same room. Finding Sylvanus Aldridge there was unexpected, as we had not seen nor heard from him for several years B Here we lived all together through that winter, during which time we built a house for George to live in, and Sylvanus built him a house, and in the spring they left the little house to us.

We lived through that summer, , worked at whatever we could find to do until fall, when we moved to Laporte in Carlisle, about 3 miles from the former place, where we resided until the next fall, when we again moved to Elyria, the county seat of Lorain B Here we remained until the death of my father in September I was taken sick on the 17th day of September and was near death at the time my father died, but recovered slowly until late in the fall when by overeating I was again taken with dyspepsia, which kept me down near a year, and which affected me more or less till the present day.

After I had recovered in part from this, I found myself alone, as it were, in the world, and considerably in debt from the expenses of doctors, but always finding employment, I soon extricated myself from this B Thinking myself to go to sea, but through the persuasion of my mother, I gave up the project B I remained in Elyria, bought a lot and built a small house and moved my mother back to live with me.

Here we lived through the winter and next summer. During the time my mother and three sisters were living in Chatham and Litchfield [near Chatham]. Nelson Wheeler Whipple Joins the Church. On investigating the doctrines taught by these people, called Mormons, I turned my attention to the same and soon became satisfied of the truth of these principles and began to make arrangements to go to Nauvoo in the fall. The first sermon I heard was preached in my own house by Elder John Hughes in Susan Jane Bailey, my first wife, was baptized about the same time that my mother and sisters were in Litchfield, Medina Co.

We, having been intimately acquainted for a long time, and her parents nor any of her relatives belonging to the Church, and knowing her desire to go to Nauvoo, [I[ proposed to marry her and take her with us to the west. This she agreed to. We were married on the 6th day of Aug.

Having made all necessary preparations for going to Nauvoo, through the summer I left Elyria on the 7th day of Sept. This constituted the company with which we came from Elyria, Lorain Co. B On leaving Ohio, I and my wife left numerous friends and relatives who seemed to regret our departure, but who could not persuade us to stay from gatherings with the Church, so great was our determination to follow out the plan of salvation.

We proceeded on towards Nauvoo in the above-mentioned company, by way of the places mentioned below. Route Travelled. From Elyria [Ohio] to Birmingham14 miles. Birmington [Birmingham] to Florence 8. Florence to Norwalk 8. Norwalk to Monroeville 5. Monroeville to Belview 7. Belview to Green Creek 9. Green Creek [Springs? Sandusky to Perrysburg This was through what was called the Black Swamp in Ohio.

The road was macadamized with broken up fine stone pounded in. Perrysburg to Maumee City 1 mile. Maumee City to Sylvania Adsen to Mosco Mosco to Jonesville Jonesville to Coldwater Coldwater to Brunson Brunson to Sturgis Perrane [Michigan] Sturgis to White Pigeon White Pigeon to Motville 6. Motville to Bristol [Indiana] 6.

Bristol to Elkhart 8. Elkhart to Mishawaka Mishawaka to South Bend 4. South Bend to Laporte Laporte to Door Village 4. Door Village to Valiperazo [Valparaiso] Valperizo [Valparaiso] to Jolyett [Joliet, Illinois] Jolyett [Joliet] to Ottawa Ottawa to Peru Peru to Princeton Princeton to Providence Providence to Ocoly Ocoly to Lafayett Lafayett to Walnut Grove Walnut Grove to Henderson Henderson to Monmouth Monmouth to Nauvoo Tiffany sick with ague and out of money.

Gibson had stopped at Ottawa about miles back and also Mr. Placed in this situation we hardly knew what course to take, but we found the people very kind, and we soon prepared houses to live in and something to eat. I was directed to a doctor Cooper in the same town, whom I was told could cure us of the ague, so I went to him and asked him if he would give us some medicine for that complaint. He said he would cure us both if we would chop him one cord of wood when we got well. This I thought was reasonable enough and took it accordingly to his directions, and it broke the ague forthwith and we got well soon.

On beginning to recover my health, I began to study what I should pursue for a living while I should stay in that place. Having some knowledge of turning, etc, I thought to make chairs and spinning wheels which proved to be a good business in that place. I therefore put up a lathe, the best I could and proceeded to prepare for such work. When I got ready, Br. Tiffany came in to work with me, and we did very well at it. Provisions of all kinds were low. At this place I remained until the 6th of May During this 19 months, I, having bettered my circumstances and thinking I had stayed quite long enough, I concluded to start for Nauvoo.

During my stay here, my wife was very sick for several weeks, and I had a serious attack which lasted about ten days, but no one could tell what ailed me or her. Brother Tiffany had the misfortune to lose his eldest son Zenus in this place.

Table of contents

The cause of his death was never ascertained, but he sickened and died suddenly. He was a child of rather uncommon talents for a child of his age. He had an aspiring mind, sought after learning and wisdom that would do him good and those with which he was associated. He told his father that he was going to die and not to mourn for him, for he should be better off than the living, and that his father and friends would soon see him again.

He requested his father to give him one more drink of water and let him raise up and see the fire once more. He bid the family goodbye, lay down and died B We continued our work through the winter, and in the spring, Bro. Gibson who had stopped at Ottawa on the Illinois River, sent me to come if I could and help him up to where I lived.

So I took my horses and wagon and wife and went back to Ottawa and assisted him in getting ready to come on and returned to our home in about two weeks. June 4, Gibson stopped in Henderson, and we went on to Nauvoo. After we returned, I witnessed one of the most terrific storms that I ever saw in my life. It swept over the country for a long extent, taking houses, trees, fences and even wagons, and almost everything else in its course.

Online Library of Liberty

Sometime in the summer of , Bros. Tiffany and Gibson and myself and Cynthia Tiffany started to go to Nauvoo to see the city and the Prophet Joseph, etc. We proceeded as far as Macedonia, then settled by the Saints, and in consequence of much rain we were obliged to abandon our journey and return home. While living at this place, Bro. Gibson took my horse to go to Oquaga, some 45 miles, with a load of wheat, and when he returned the horse died.

This left me without a team of any kind to move further. In October my wife had her first child, a boy, dead born in consequence of a fall she got two days before. She came very near her death, but by the aid of a very skillful doctor, she recovered. In the spring of , I, having bettered my condition, concluded to go to Nauvoo.

I therefore hired a man by the name of Jinks to take us to that place. I had forgotten to mention a circumstance that happened while we lived in this place. George Tiffany came up from Nauvoo to see us as he and family had gone to Nauvoo the year before and was taken very sick and continued so for a long time, and to all human appearance came near his death.

After he had, in part, recovered, I hired a Bro. Landres to take him home to Nauvoo. The Move to Nauvoo. On the 3rd day of May, we, my mother, myself, my wife and my sister Gerua, left for our destined home, as we supposed, in Nauvoo. We had a pleasant journey of 75 miles unmolested, although we passed through and among a people who held the most bitter enmity against Mormons, as we were called.

We arrived at Bro. Tiffany's in Nauvoo, May 6, , all well and in good spirits. George Tiffany lived in a large log house on Bain Street, two blocks directly north of the Temple. The next day after arriving, we went to see the Temple, the walls of which were about half up. This building was of whitish rock, a coarse whitish rock, a coarse kind of marble taken from the bank of the river about one half mile from the Temple.

On seeing this building, etc. We viewed the work as far as it was done, walked about the city all day and returned to Bro. I was informed that every man in the city was required to stand guard the half of every other night in the streets of the city, in consequence of the many ruffians that were continually committing depredations upon the Saints. Accordingly I was enrolled, with a big hickory cane, into a company called deacons, in the ward in which I then lived with Bro. I, with my wife, my mother, and one sister Gerua, remained in the house of Bro.

Tiffany about three weeks, during which time I furnished flour and fish and we lived high on bread and catfish. Cahoon and Bishop Whitney, paid my property and money tithing in full and my wife her penny subscription, and got our receipts. Finding no profitable employment in Nauvoo, I went to Bro. Conley and Jonathan Partridge, up the river to Burlington Island to get timber wood and so forth, and raft it down to the city for our own use. We started on the first of July with a skiff.

The river being very high, the current so strong, it took us five days to row up to the place where we expected to obtain our raft. B July 10, On arriving there we found the Island nearly covered with water, hardly dry land enough to camp on. We therefore had to stand in the water to our knees and some of the time to our waists to cut logs and raft them.

Here we worked nine days in this way, wet and slept in our wet clothes on the wet ground. We got a large raft and run it safely to Nauvoo, landed safe and went home. When I got home, I found my wife sick with fever and my sister with the ague, and was informed that nearly all Bro. In a few days my wife began to amend and I began to feel the effects of my visit to Burlington Island. I was taken with severe chills and fever every day for three days, and the third day the chills came on as usual but no fever to throw off.

This continued for three days at which time I was, as I thought, nearly dead B July 16, My wife and other friends having tried all means in their power to restore me, and becoming alarmed at my condition, insisted upon sending for President Young to come and see me, which I objected to on account of the great amount of business he had to attend to, as well as the hundreds of sick that called for him night and day.

But when I was so far gone as to be unable to answer them, and they thought I was struck with death, as it is commonly called, my wife was determined to go, for my mother, sister Gerua and many others were at my bed, supposing me to be the same as dead. My wife soon returned with President Young, Lorenzo D.

  1. Compendium of history and biography of Hillsdale County, Michigan Elon G. Reynolds, editor.!
  2. Good Morning;
  3. Houston Grand Opera | Spring Opera Cues ?
  4. Histoires naturelles (GF) (French Edition).
  5. Young, Joseph Young, Heber C. Kimball, Truman Tillet, and one or two others. I knew them when they came in, but could not stir nor speak, nor could they see that I breathed. Brigham told my wife as soon as he came into the house to put her heart at rest, for I was not going to die for many years, and would live to do a deal of good yet before I died.

    This cheered the crowd of friends who had gathered around me. They proceeded to lay their hands upon me in the name of the Lord and rubbed my legs and arms with brandy and cayenne which brought them to some feeling as they were cold and blue to my body. President Young said there was no disease about me, as they had rebuked the power of the disease, and it had left me accordingly.

    To their words, this I could testify was the case. I having been so far reduced was very weak, though no disease upon me. I did not recover strength enough to walk for about three weeks. At which time I went up to the Temple and to Bro. As I became able to walk about, I went to see after my wood logs and so forth, which we had hired Dock Houg to haul out of the river, and found that most of it had been stolen. The others had been sick as well as me, but what was left I got hauled home. B Aug. I was not able to do but very little labor during the summer and fall but tend my garden, fix up my place etc.

    In the month of September my mother was taken sick. Her fever was very severe and growing worse. I sent for Dr. Bernhisel, but he could not help her and the ninth day of her illness she died, on the 15th Sep. At the time of my mother's death, I was still unable to do but very little, as I had taken cold and had the ague every other day but not being able to get a coffin made, had to make one myself, as there were so many dying daily, that coffins were hard to obtain.

    We were informed about this time that we were to leave Nauvoo and go west in search of some other place where we could live in peace, if such a place was to be found. This was rather unexpected to the most of the Saints, though some had understood it for years before that we should, at some time, go to the wilderness. All through the summer and fall of our enemies were raging against us on every side. Mobs were collecting, driving in the small settlements to Nauvoo, burning their houses, driving off their hogs, sheep, and cattle, destroying their grain and in some instances shooting the men as they were trying to save their stacks of wheat after they had been fired by the mob.

    In consequence of those proceedings on the outside, times were rather hard in the city, as all had to gather there and few were permitted to fetch any provisions with them. Many of the streets of the city were fenced up, ploughed and planted to corn and other grain and vegetables, to support the people as nothing could be got from the outside.

    After the word came that we were to leave for parts unknown, all were organized into companies to prepare for the general move. Wagon shops were erected in all directions, timber gathered, and wagons made of green timber in short notice. I was joined to a company under the superintendence of Wm. Huntington, father of Dimic, William, and Oliver Huntington. We worked in the Nauvoo House that was partly up at the time we were called to go west.

    They were taken and buried in Joseph's garden and very few knew the place of their burial. In this house we worked and made many wagons. I got able to work some eighteen days, turned about hubs, made a wagon for Augustus Stanford, who afterwards left the Church and went with old Father Cutter, but he paid my labor tithing up to the 1st of January While I was thus engaged, a company was being raised as a guard to guard the Authorities of the Church on their flight to the wilderness.

    I was therefore called to go as one, under the direction of Hosea Stout, Captain of the Guard. I therefore made preparations as fast as possible to start on this service, feeling proud of the place I was called to fill, where I might make myself useful and of service to the servants of God in the last days, and especially at this critical time. We were called into the Temple cellar to organize and receive instructions from our Captain and other officers concerning our duties, preparations and so forth, and were told that we were to leave our families, and if we never saw them again, all right, and if not we must call it a sacrifice.

    With these instructions, I went determined to carry them out. My wife was well pleased with the idea, although this movement might separate us for life. To refuse a call by the authorities of the Church would be worse than that. At this time we had to stand guard at our shops and in the streets of the city. Many times we were called up in the night and informed that a large mob was rushing into the city to take our arms. But they never came while I was there. Shortly after my arrival in Nauvoo, I was ordained an Elder at a general meeting and appointed Clerk of that quorum and acted in that capacity while I remained there.

    Much business was to be done in the quorum as the Temple was then finished and all anxious to receive their endowments, although many were refused that privilege on account of the short time we had to stay. Notwithstanding this, Father Williams, the President of the Quorum got our names in and the names of Bro. Tiffany and wife to go through on the 4th of January , but we were taken through in a hurried manner and was not as fully instructed as we might have been if we had not been so hurried.

    During this winter we plainly saw that our property in Nauvoo would fetch us very little or nothing. There was no legal title to the land or at least a large portion of it. So we saw our situation having to leave all and flee to the wilderness to do the best we could. Leaving Nauvoo and Beginning the Journey westward. Having made necessary arrangements as far as my means would admit, and the time having come for us to enter upon our duties as a guard, we took our leave of Nauvoo, the place that we only a few months before had supposed to be our permanent abiding place.

    We, the guard, crossed the river a little above Montrose on the 10th of Feb. There was no snow and the weather was warm and pleasant. A day or two before we left the city I was standing on a mound of earth near the Temple with some others, and a cry raised that the Temple was on fire, and in a few moments, a great smoke arose from the roof of the building, and Joseph Young called from the tower for every man to go to his own house and get a bucket of water, if we did not live more than a mile off.

    They did so and in fifteen minutes there was a perfect stream of water pouring onto the fire, which was soon out. At the very same time, a boat was sunk at the head of an island in the river, in which were many of the Saints crossing, who narrowly escaped drowning, and they lost some of their goods. We lay on the west bank of the river some four or five days awaiting the arrival of President Young. During this time we were permitted, a few at a time, to go back to Nauvoo, it we wished, to see our families or attend to any business they might have left undone.

    I went back on the third day, and stayed one night and returned the next day, bidding my wife, and Nauvoo, as I supposed, a long farewell. The guard was organized also into tens, and Hosea Stout acted as Captain of the whole which amounted to twelve tens, I think. We then moved from the bank of the river to find a place suitable to camp, to wait for Bishop Whitney and some others who had got ready to start. We traveled 12 miles west to a small creek called Sugar Creek, in a grove of timber where we camped and stayed about three weeks, in which time the snow fell about six inches deep and the weather very cold.

    Here we were required to stand guard night and day for our safety as we well knew that there were hundreds of our enemies that would steal our last cow, ox or horse if we would give them half a chance. We also learned that mobocrats in Carthage, Warsaw and the surrounding country had offered 1, dollars for the head of Brigham Young and same for that of Hosea Stout. We kept a sharp lookout for them for we knew as they had slain Joseph and Hyrum, so they would slay Brigham, Heber, and the Twelve, if they could. During our stay in this place, Bro. Stafford, the captain of our ten, Father Williams and some others thought it would be best for me to go back to Nauvoo and get my wife who was alone with only one or two in that city, with which she was acquainted, and she had sent word that she had been ordered to leave the house she was living in, which I had bought and paid for.

    On being persuaded by these, I asked President Young what I should do. He told me to take the baggage wagon of our ten and go forthwith and get her and what I could fetch and bid goodbye to Nauvoo. I did as he told me and found my wife at Bro. Richardson's on the west side of the river. The river was partly frozen over so that we could not cross the night so we stayed at Bro. Richardson's all night. On the following day we crossed the river on the ice bings that had stopped in the strong current and frozen together, covering perhaps one third of the surface.

    On these we wound our way from one to another until we reached the other shore, the river being one mile wide. When we reached our house, we went immediately to preparing to start for the camp, early the next morning. We continued all night in selecting some few of our best clothes, books, dishes, etc. All we took except our bedding and cooking utensils were put into a box three feet long and 16 inches deep.

    In the morning I borrowed a hand sled off a boy and put our things upon it and went to the river, not knowing how we should get across; but when we got to the bank, we found Judson Stoddard about to cross with a team. He said he would take us over. Accordingly we got aboard his sleigh and rode to the other side where our baggage wagon and teamsters were waiting for our return.

    We then rode back to camp. The weather was extremely cold and tedious and disagreeable traveling, but we arrived in camp before sundown. Our ten were glad to see us again. President Young had called all such as he thought proper to go in the first company, and the rest he counseled to stay in Nauvoo till spring or summer, but a great many regardless of this, followed on so that the whole amounted to wagons. The next day after we returned to the camp, the whole company moved 12 miles and stopped for the night. The mud and snow was about six or 8 inches deep, the air very cold and raw, my feet wet and my body very poorly clothed.

    When we camped for the night, the ground was one continual splosh of snow and mud, nowhere to sit or lie down but in the water and snow. Sister McArthur told my wife to lie in their tent on some corn stalks with her daughter, and she accepted the offer. Esther Williams and myself also lay in the tent on a single blanket, in the snow and when we awoke in the morning, we found the blanket frozen to our sides, as the weather had turned very cold. So we sat by little fire the rest of the night. The next day we moved onto Richardson's Point, as it was called, near a small creek called Chequess.

    Here we stayed for something over a week. It rained almost constantly. The snow had all gone and the ground nearly covered with water. Here I was called on to guard at Brigham's tent at dark and was to be relieved in two hours, but it rained so hard that our ten scattered in all directions for shelter, and was not to be found. So that I stood in the rain and mud till day, when I went to look for my company but could find only my wife lying on a spot of ground a little above the rest, in wet bed clothes, and Father Williams sitting by the little fire he had managed to keep burning.

    The rest had fled. After the storm had somewhat abated, we went, I mean to say, the company, to husking corn for the inhabitants, on shares to obtain corn to feed ourselves and the horses belonging to the Twelve and others. We also built a house for corn and pork and some beans. We had then lived over three weeks on boiled corn alone. While we were camped at this place, Edwin Tittle died of consumption, having been sick a long time. He told Charles Decker one day that he should die about such a time the next day, and he wanted him Charles to come and see him. He went as he had requested and found him about to die.

    From here we continued to travel on from day to day, guarding nights, suffering much, in storms and cold, and save from hunger, nothing of particular note occurring and making no stop only a day or two at a time, until we arrived at Locust Creek, where we had a snow storm. Here we stayed seven or eight days waiting for better weather.

    Smith Genealogy

    My wife was sick at this place for several days. While at this place, I was sent back eight miles to get some pistols and other Church property from P. Pratt's camp. The mud was so deep that it took three yoke of oxen to haul lbs. We moved on from this place without making much halt until we came to the Sheridan River, where we stopped again for a week or more, disorganizing the guard, and placed us around in different places.

    Bishop George Miller came over with a company soon after we camped at Sugar Creek, and contrary to Brigham's council crossed the creek and camped on the other side, and when he gathered tithings, corn, oats, potatoes, etc. When he was told by the guard that he must not take such corn, etc. When he found that Brigham and company was about to start from Sugar Creek, he Miller started before him and kept ahead for several weeks, though President Young sent for him to come back or stop his company till we should overtake him, but he would not.

    He did so, and kept behind the rest of the way up to Council Bluffs, but he was dissatisfied because he could not have his own way. He apostatized and went down to Missouri and died there. But, to return to my history at the Sheridan. We divided as before stated, and I was given two yoke of oxen and a wagon to come on with. The wagon had a double cover on it and made a good shelter which we had not had before since we left Nauvoo.

    At this place we get 20 lbs. We were given some parched corn meal while here, which we could not eat, although we were very hungry. It had been a kind of law in camp that none should shoot any game or at any mark, only those appointed to hunt for the camp, but I being very hungry and seeing many squirrels in the woods, I determined to have some as I had a good gun and knew how to use it as well as most of men.

    I went out unknown to my captain, D. Thomas and killed five fox squirrels and two pheasants and when they were cooked we invited our captain to eat which he did and seemed to be very grateful for the opportunity. We left this place Sheridan and came on for many days, it rained most of the time so that the streams on the prairies were all most impassable, many sticking in the mud having to stay there over night. Women and children traveled all day in the mud and water and then had to lay on the wet ground at night.

    The next place that we made any considerable stay was at a place named by the company, Council or Hickory Point. Here we stopped for five days. A company was sent from here to the settlements in Missouri to work for provisions for the Pioneers. The camp was called together to see who had the necessary provisions and other articles to continue there until January. Garden Grove. After this was done, we moved onto a grove of timber on a branch of Grand River where they had chosen a place to make a settlement. When we arrived at this place, it was one continual bed of wild onions as far as the eye could see, extended in all directions to the tall oak timber that stood thick on the ground without underbrush on account of the vast amount of onions.

    This place was called Garden Grove. When we arrived at this place, we had eaten very little or nothing for over three days. The last we had was eleven ears of corn some week or more before. When that was gone, I went to Bro. Rockwood, Captain of 50, and told him our situation and he told me if I knew of any who had plenty to go to them and tell them if they would let me have some meal, he Rockwood would pay him back as soon as we got to the place where we were going to make a settlement above mentioned.

    Accordingly I went to Bro. Erastus Snow and told him what Rockwood had said, knowing that he had plenty, but I could not persuade him Snow to let me have the least mite, although I told him my situation and how I came to be in this fix. On the morning before we arrived at Garden Grove, Samuel Smith, who had had my rifle and killed a deer, but I did not get into camp until we became just about to start, so we could not cook any of the meat until we had got to Garden Grove at noon, which made about three days and a half without food. On coming to this place it was understood that we were to make a settlement here and that some should stop here for the present and it would be a place where poor that would be coming up after us could stop to recuperate, raise a crop, if they chose, etc.

    After our teams were turned out, etc. Myself and one Amos Davis took oxen and went a few rods from the wagons, which stood in the thick timber and felled a tree and made four rails, but just as we had almost done this Amos Rogers cried out that he had split four rails so we were beat at last. After we had split our rails, we sat down on the log. Davis said that I seemed unwell or that something ailed me. I told him I was well enough but had not eaten anything in about three days or more.

    He arose and went his way. As I still sat waiting for my venison to cook, which my wife had put boiling as soon as we stopped, I saw President Young coming to me. As he came up, he said, "I think you have done wrong. Says I "I do no know what I have done out of the way. He then said that Bro. Davis told him that I had not had anything to eat for some days, and I think you have done wrong that you did not let me know about it. I told him I thought he had plenty to feed without me. At which he said "I have plenty now, and when that is gone I know I shall get more. That he had seen me in every crowd where there was something to be done.

    He told me when that was gone to come and get more. This was an act of kindness that I can never forget. Highly recommended. What an emotional rollercoaster ride and what an outstanding book! I went from laughing to tearing up to gasping in shock. Abide With Me is partly coming-of-age story and partly crime fiction. Although not a Young Adult book, kids could learn a lot from it. It is advertised as a story of football, friendship, hope and gangsters. Amongst other things, it is also about family, community, adversity and redemption. Set in the East End of London in the s and 80s, this is the story of John and Kenny, who live on the same street.

    Abide With Me

    But John has a relatively settled family life and, like his Dad, he loves supporting West Ham. Kenny, however, is the odd kid, the overweight boy, the one who gets bullied and hardly ever communicates. I made the mistake of listening while dog walking and failed miserably at trying to not cry at a particularly tragic moment. I was particularly impressed by how he managed to express emotions and create suspense simply by small changes in pace and tone.

    It sounded so genuine, you really felt as if grown-up John was providing you with a retrospective of his life. I am very curious to see what Ian Ayris will come up with next soon, hopefully. Audiobook was provided for review by the narrator. Please find this complete review and many others at my review blog [If this review helped, please press YES.

    Excellent narration of a story that had all the elements to captivate my imagination. I will look out for others. Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why? I would recommend this book to not only a friend but anyone else looking for an excellent read. The storyline is gripping and the book is enhanced by the narrator. Yes and I thoroughly enjoy listening to Karl narrate, he really purveys the characters personality throughout the book.

    Yes I didn't want to put it down. Great story and the narrator captures the atmosphere perfectly. I've had a few long train journeys recently and found myself totally absorbed in this - recommended! Your audiobook is waiting…. Abide with Me. By: Ian Ayris. Narrated by: Karl Jenkinson.

    Series: John Sissons , Book 1. Length: 5 hrs and 52 mins. Publisher's Summary Two boys. John and Kenny. One streetwise and football mad, the other cold and unfathomable. Abide With Me is a story of football, friendship, and hope. And gangsters. A story of how two boys walked blind into the darkness More from the same Author April Skies. What members say Average Customer Ratings Overall. Amazon Reviews.

    Sort by:. Most Helpful Most Recent. Noirguy Excellent What made the experience of listening to Abide with Me the most enjoyable? Alice A good listen to a British book set in East London If you could sum up Abide with Me in three words, what would they be? East London, kids, gangsters What other book might you compare Abide with Me to, and why?